Statement for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
The Alamance Chamber is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive business community for Alamance County. The Chamber envisions a local economy that appreciates different backgrounds, ideas, and perspectives as a matter of conscience and a business principle.
The Alamance Chamber acknowledges the sad history that many of our society’s institutions share of perpetuating social and economic injustice not only through persistent inaction, but worse, through overt, discriminatory exclusion on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and religion.
Through acknowledgement of, and with regret for, the ugliness of our national and local history, the Alamance Chamber rejects these practices. They do not reflect a way of life that the Chamber stands for or promotes for the Alamance County Community.
To this end, the Alamance Chamber is committed to:
• Educating staff, board, and membership on principles of diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Staff, board, and committee representation that reflects the demographics of Alamance County.
• Evaluating its program of work to identify shortcomings in service of underserved communities.
• Inviting those who have previously been excluded to contribute to conversations and policy decisions.
• Engaging other organizations and individuals in the community doing the same work to ensure a welcoming, inclusive community.
• Taking an active stand against policies and practices that contribute to the continuance of racial, ethnic, gender identity, sexual orientation, or religious segregation and discrimination.
• Creating safe spaces and opportunities for open, honest, and constructive conversations.
All position statements of the Alamance Chamber are presented to and approved by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors on behalf of our 600 business members.
Download the official Statement for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.